Doing your PhD: books for research students and supervisors
Never mind your subject interest, did you know that the library has a number of books about the PhD process itself? Check out some of these texts.
For research students:
- Gill, J. and Medd, W. (2013) Your PhD coach: learn to thrive during your PhD and beyond. Maidenhead: Open University Press.
- Harrison, L. (2012) Paperheads: living doctoral study, developing doctoral identity. Oxford: Peter Lang.
- Petre, M. and Rugg, G. (2010) The unwritten rules of PhD research. Maidenhead: Open University Press. (ebook)
- Lee, N-J. (2009) Achieving your professional doctorate. Maidenhead: Open University Press. (ebook)
- Matthiesen, J. and Binder, M. (2009) How to survive your doctorate: what others don’t tell you. Maidenhead: McGraw-Hill Open University Press.
- Wisker, G. (2008) The postgraduate research handbook: succeed with your MA, MPhil, EdD and PhD. 2nd ed. Basingstoke : Palgrave Macmillan.
- Wellington, J. J. (2005) Succeeding with your doctorate. London: Sage. (ebook)
- Scott, D. (2004) Professional doctorates: integrating professional and academic knowledge. Maidenhead: Open University Press. (ebook)
- Dunleavy, P. (2003) Authoring a PhD: how to plan, draft, write, and finish a doctoral thesis or dissertation. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Lee, A. (2012) Successful research supervision: advising students doing research. London: Routledge. (ebook)
- Wisker, G. (2012) The good supervisor: supervising postgraduate and undergraduate research for doctoral theses and dissertations. 2nd ed. Basingstoke: Palgrave Macmillan.
- Peelo, M.T. (2011) Understanding supervision and the PhD. London : Continuum.
- Eley, A.R. and Murray, R. (2009) How to be an effective supervisor: best practice in research student supervision. Maidenhead : Open University Press.
- Taylor, S. and Beasley, N. (2005) A handbook for doctoral supervisors. London: Taylor & Francis. (ebook)
For both students and supervisors:
- Phillips, E. and Pugh, D. (2010) How to get a PhD: a handbook for students and their supervisors. 5th ed. Maidenhead : McGraw-Hill Open University Press. (ebook)
- Eley, A. and Jennings, R. (2005) Effective postgraduate supervision: improving the student-supervisor relationship. Maidenhead : Open University Press.
These have a subject specific slant:
- Thomson, P. and Walker, M. (2010) The Routledge doctoral supervisor’s companion: supporting effective research in education and the social sciences. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Thomson, P. and Walker, M. (2010) The Routledge doctoral student’s companion: getting to grips with research in education and the social sciences. Abingdon: Routledge.
- Ketefian, S. and McKenna, H.P. (2005) Doctoral education in nursing: international perspectives. London : Routledge.
This list is also available as an Aspire reading list.
[Post last updated 18th February 2015]
Image credit: Heppdesigns