Graduate School Update Day ~ Tuesday 12 June
Graduate School Update Day ~ Well-being and Resilience
Tuesday 12 June ~ 9.30-12.45 (refreshments from 9.15; lunch at 12.45)
Delapre Lecture Theatre, Park Campus
Every year The Graduate School holds an ‘Update Day‘ where the focus is on topics of interest to postgraduate researchers and their supervisors. The theme this year will be well-being and resilience.
We will run parallel workshops for supervisors and students, ending with a short plenary session.
The workshop for students will cover:
- Recognising progress – embedding bounce back (Key to well-being is to recognise the positives, distance travelled and what drives us forward)
- The good, the bad and the interesting – knowing what to expect when completing a PhD (Key to well-being is being future savvy – recognising that good mental health is about treating our mental health as we would our physical health. Mental exercising, mental agility and mental rest)
- Seven habits of highly resilient researchers (Inspired by Stephen Covey’s 7 habits of highly effective people – the session will provide an overview of the 7 habits for students to consider as part of their commitment to good well-being and bounceback-ability)
- Counselling service and mental health team to signpost support and tools available
The workshop for supervisors will provide an overview of the 7 habits of highly resilient researchers and then information and mental health first aid training delivered by mental health team. Additional themes to include:
- Support for supervisors to recognise the signs of stress and wellbeing discomfort in their students (and themselves) – what to say and what not to say,
- Where to go for support – and what the university policies are.
- Asking vs telling – providing support for students to grow (AKA coaching skills for supervisors)
- Acting as a role model for well-being and resilience
- Sharing experiences of supervision.
Workshops will be led by Dr Kate Mahoney, a professional development consultant with very considerable experience in UK HEIs. Phil Turner and Rachael Sturgess from UoN Student Services will be available to talk about the counselling and mental health services provided by the university.
To book a place, please follow the link to Gateway. Do get in touch with us if you have any problems with booking or any questions about Update Day.