3-Minute Thesis – call for applications
In 2022 the Graduate School’s 3-Minute Thesis competition for PGRs will take place online on Collaborate on September 8th from 11:30am to 1pm.
To take part, you will be required to outline your thesis in a three-minute presentation and one slide, written for a general audience in plain English! In order to apply you must be a PGR at Northampton going through Transfer at present or have passed the Transfer stage of your PhD. DBA and Professional Doctorate students are encouraged to take part too but you must be in the research phase of your doctorate. Click here for the entry form.
The winner of our 3MT will have the opportunity to represent UON and present at the East Midlands Doctoral Network (EMDoc) 3MT Competition later in September, which will also be held online.
Rules of entry are as follows:
- A single static PowerPoint slide is permitted. No slide transitions, animations or ‘movement’ of any description are allowed.
- Timing will be recorded – you have only 3 minutes.
- The slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration and shared on screen via Collaborate.
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, laboratory equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are marked down.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g. no poems, raps or songs).
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when a presenter starts their presentation through either movement or speech.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
Please complete an entry form, including the title of your presentation. Please write a catchy title for a general audience, it should not be the title of your thesis. Please make sure your presentation is suitable for a general audience and is in plain English! The closing date for entry forms is Friday 26th August 2022.
Once you have entered, please send your single slide to Simone Apel by the deadline of 31st August 2022.
For more information on 3MT worldwide see the University of Queensland 3MT or just Google 3MT!
Please direct any questions to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted on July 7, 2022, in Competitions and awards, Events, Graduate School, Researcher development and tagged 3MT, Postgraduate researchers. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.
Leave a comment