Funder Policies – COAF/Wellcome Trust
The Charity Open Access Fund (COAF) provides funding assistance for Gold Open Access (OA) Article Processing Charges (APCs) where the research to be published is the output of funding from the following COAF members:
- Arthritis Research UK
- British Heart Foundation
- Cancer Research UK
- Parkinson’s UK
- Wellcome Trust
GOLD – Publication Criteria
- Journal articles, monographs and book chapters accepted for publication from 1st October 2014.
- At least one of the partner charities funding is acknowledged in the paper.
- Must deposit, on behalf of the author, the final version of the article – which includes all the changes that arose from the peer-review, copy-editing and proofing processes – in PubMed Central (PMC), where it must be made freely available at the time of publication.
- CC-BY licence is available.
COAF will only pay for articles that have a CC BY licence and can be made available immediately online and deposited in other repositories.
If the article is the result of research supported by one or more institutions the open access costs are to be split between the contributing funders.
GREEN – Publication Criteria
- If a journal fails to meet the above criteria, it may be possible to achieve compliance via the Green route to OA by depositing a copy of the accepted author manuscript (AAM) of your paper in both PURE and Europe PMC, providing the embargo date is no longer than 6 months.
The version of the article is the Accepted Author Manuscript (AAM), with the peer-review comments implemented as it was accepted for publication. Depending on the publisher, these articles may be subject to an embargo period, after which the article can be made freely available.
- The paper has to be made available open access within six months of the date of publication.