The Altmetric Top 100 2017 is here! Check out this year’s list of the most talked about articles. http://altmetric.com/top100
What are Altmetrics?
- Attention to research outputs in non-traditional sources, e.g. policy documents, news, blogs and social media
- Indicators of research impact
- Help understand how research is being received and used
- Complementary to traditional citation-based analysis
- Provide a more coherent understanding of research attention
- Understand the broader reach and early impact of research
- Track attention to a broad range of research outputs, including articles, posters, data sets and working papers, etc.
- Help researchers get credit for impact activities
Advantages of Metrics for Single Research Outputs
- Real-time, immediate feedback on attention to scholarly content
- Useful for early career researchers whose work may not have accrued citations
- Showcase attention to a research output beyond academia
- Not biased by an over-arching metric
The Altmetric Bookmarklet
The free Bookmarklet lets you instantly retrieve altmetrics data for any article.
To install, go to: http://altmetric.it
Remember that the Numbers Don’t Tell You…
- Quality of the paper
- Quality of the researchers
- Whole story
Adapted from https://www.altmetric.com/