Managing your research data – forthcoming workshops
Posted by Miggie Pickton
As part of our ongoing engagement with the Digital Curation Centre (DCC) we have arranged the following workshops:
- Managing data through the research lifecycle
- Managing your PhD research data
- Research Council requirements for data management
All sessions will be led by experts in data management from the DCC.
Starting with a discussion of the issues faced by researchers when managing and sharing research data, this session will focus on the challenges of data management throughout the research lifecycle. The speakers will introduce some data management tools and offer tips in using them. The session will finish with an opportunity to ask questions and to find out about support for research data management at The University of Northampton.
- Hosted by: Northampton Business School
- Intended audience: Research active staff and research students from NBS
- When: Wednesday 20th February 1 – 2.30pm
- Where: Cottesbrooke C210
- Contact: Dr Sandy Macdonald
2) Managing your PhD research data
This workshop will explain why it is important for research students to actively manage their research data; address the key issues and challenges in data management and introduce the concept of data management planning. Students will have the opportunity to use the DMPonline tool to complete a data management plan for their PhD research.
- Hosted by: The Graduate School
- Intended audience: Research students from all Schools
- When: Wednesday 20th February 3 – 5.15pm
- Where: Park Library TPod
- Contact: Simone Apel or Register on Eventbrite
3) Research Council requirements for data management
Many research funders have issued policies that require researchers to effectively manage, and where possible, share their data. The main expectations are reflected in a set of common principles, released by RCUK in 2011. This workshop aims to demystify funder requirements and provide practical guidelines on how to meet them.
- Hosted by: School of Social Sciences
- Intended audience: Research active staff and research students in social sciences
- When: Wednesday 27th February 10am – 12 noon
- Where: Naseby N25
- Contact: Miggie Pickton
Each workshop has an intended audience as described above, but places may be available to other researchers – the named contact will be able to advise.
Over the next few months we are hoping to run a data management workshop for each of the six Schools so please do let me (Miggie Pickton) know of any suggestions or requests.
Image credit: Heppdesigns
Posted on February 11, 2013, in Events, Library, Northampton Business School, School of Social Sciences and tagged DCC, event, library, nbs, Northampton Business School, research data, Research Degree Students, School of Social Sciences, training, Workshops. Bookmark the permalink. Leave a comment.