Data management planning using DMPonline
In its research data policy and principles, the University of Northampton strongly encourages researchers to produce data management plans (DMPs) for their research projects. DMPonline is the recommended tool for this purpose.
Last year the university’s Research Data Working Group discussed the creation of Northampton-specific guidance for DMPonline users. The tool permits institutions to enter local information about support for data management planning which users will see when they create their DMPs.
For Northampton, the local guidance now covers the University’s policies, procedures and responsibilities for research data management, as well as information about related services (such as TUNDRA2 and NECTAR) that can be used in your DMP.
To see the new University of Northampton guidance in DMPonline you will need to take the following steps when you create your plan:
- Launch DMPonline from https://dmponline.dcc.ac.uk/
- You can access DMPonline using your usual University login, just click on the link that says ‘Or, sign in with your institutional credentials‘
- Click on the ‘Create plan’ button:
- Create plan options:
- If you are applying to a specific funder then select your funder from the drop-down list, otherwise click on the ‘Not applicable/not listed’ link
- If you have logged in with your University login details the next prompt should default to University of Northampton guidance; otherwise just select this from the drop-down list
- It is recommended that you tick the box to see the DCC guidance too (the Northampton guidance supplements this, it doesn’t replace it)
- The completed ‘Create a new plan’ screen should look like this:
- Click on the ‘Create plan’ button to create it
- As you go through the various questions for your DMP you will now be presented with guidance from both Northampton and the DCC, thus:
Just click on the ‘+’ to see it.